797Re:: Re: [privateer20] Re:: Ballast

  • oliver_shaw@btinternet.com
    Jul 18, 2014
      Jonathan,

      Thanks for responding.

      >   It's not clear from your message whether  you have placed the ballast to replace lack of crew under the cockpit floor rather than the cabin floor as advised by the builders

      This lot is all under the cockpit sole,  where it will do most good in digging that (fairly minimal) skeg into the water.

      This has not quite filled that space,  but it would be a little difficult to add bulk more there,  and I reckon that this ballasts the boat to achieve what the designer intended.    I shall review it during and after this year's cruise,  and if I then want to add more the choice will then be to replace some of the bagged gravel with lead,  or to add more (probably bagged gravel  -  because it is vastly cheaper) under the cabin sole.

      >  What does seem important is that most of the outboards have a propeller designed to push an inflatable or planing hull at higher speeds than our basic displacement hull will travel at. It probably makes more sense to go for a sail drive, dual or high thrust propeller.

      Agreed,  although finding a choice of props for an engine in this size range may not be so easy.    I have yet to explore that with my local powerboat shop (who supplied this engine after the original had been stolen).

      >  Where are you planning your cruise this year.

      Isle of Man,  and (I hope) Ireland.    Outward by way of the Lancashire and Cumbria coast,  by way of a change,  wind direction and weather permitting,  and return via Anglesey.

      An open question as yet whether the return leg will be Ireland to Anglesey direct or via Isle of Man;    much depends on what part of Ireland,  but I need to limit the length of single-handed passages in order to prevent unsafe levels of fatigue.   Isle of Man might well be a dogleg,  but might shorten the individual legs sufficiently to be worth the detour.

      Of course outward via Anglesey remains an option if weather is against me for Lancashire & Cumbria,  but I did that last year,  and I would quite like to make a return visit to Glasson Dock (did it earlier this year,  for the first time,  in a friend's 10m Beneteau Oceanis 331),  and to visit Ravenglass and Whitehaven.

      Ravenglass appears to be an attractive estuary,  although I have previously visited it only by land,  and is one terminus of the narrow gauge steam railway whose other end is up in the hills,  on the Hardknott Pass,  and offers splendid walking country.  Every time I visit the Lakes the Wrynose and Hardnknott Pass are a "must" if time permits,  together with a ride on that railway,  and of course fell walking is de rigeur there.

      Whitehaven is the only part of the UK mainland ever to have been invaded since 1066;   done by Paul Jones,  Father of the United States Navy,  during the War of Independence.

      Regards,