995Re:: Drop Keel Overhaul

    Mar 27, 2015
      What struck me in the photo's is the place of the  pivot bolt. (on the photo's with red arrows.)
      Is the bolt really placed below the waterline?

      That is an interesting query.

      I learn from the Shipmate Owners' Association,  and they are (smaller) sister ships to the Privateers,  that in their case the design was changed part way through production;    the early ones had the pivot bolt below the waterline,  "in the keel"  according to their website,  but the later ones repositioned the bolt well above the waterline.    That in turn required a change in the profile of the plate.

      I would not surprise me if the same is the case with the Privateers,  and at least two other factors lead me to believe that my one may be an early one;   the absence of built-in ballast beneath the cabin sole,  and the sail number which (if correct,  which is always fairly questionable unless supported by documentary evidence) appears to be P 1.

      My pivot bolt is above the keel,  but not far above it,  and I suspect that it is below the waterline.    Certainly it is well below the Vee-berths.

      Screws through the laminate to fit the keel strips.... Is it possible that the wood that was once there behind has rotten away?

      I don't know.    I haven't lifted the floorboards yet this year;    I lifted them for inspection when I bought the boat some years ago,  and again more recently (but still a few years back) when I did did some GRP repairs,  but that is all,  so I am going by memory.    And I have seen (and worked on) a great many boats over the years ...
      ]
      But my slightly vague recollection is that on the inside there is a shallow trough (the inside of the keel),  with no wood (or indeed anything else) on the inside surface.    I will be able to confirm or amend that when I lift the floorboards after I have put the boat back on her trailer.

      From the feel of the drill as it went through I did have the impression,  slightly surprisingly,  and perhaps worryingly,  that there are two layers of GRP in the keel with a space between.   From the date of the boat I rather doubt whether the construction is a foam sandwich,  or balsa sandwich,  but if the space between the two layers is a void one wonders why.

      However I have never had any occasion to question the strength of the keel,  although I have occasionally had occasion to question the strength of the bilges;   certainly I can detect modest evidence of "give" as she dries out,   enough to make me aware,  but not enough to regard as necessarily excessive.    Of course all lightly constructed boats will do that,  and the Privateer is light for her size,  and provided all flexing remains well within the elastic limit that is not a structural problem.    Nonetheless,  it is on my agenda to consider stiffening the hull;   and also (for other reasons) stiffening the coachroof in way of the ventilators,  since there is evidence of flexing there also.    Along with replacing the forehatch and the main hatch ...

      I am gradually getting the boat as I want her ...