Pre-purchase checks.

  • Tony Baker
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 23, 2016

      Good evening everyone. This is my first post here so I would like to say hello to you all.
      This weekend I plan to look at a Privateer with a view to purchase, to sail on Lough Derg in Ireland and on the Shannon estuary.
      The asking price is £3,300 with no outboard, but with road trailer. Is that the sort of going rate? (I know it depends so much on condition!)
      The other question is whether there are any points to check specific to the Privateer?
      Many thanks and best  regards,  Tony.

    • Tony Glover
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 23, 2016

        Hi Tony.
        Welcome to the group.

        Bought my Privateer 20 the weekend before last.

        Came with rigging and v. old trailer, not much interior and no outboard for £670.
        Have bought good 2nd hand trailer for £700.
        Refit will probably be the best part of £1000.

        What to look out for :
        Hull layup is quite thin.
        The Lifting keel can jam so see if it swings ok.

        Check the sails for wear or UV damage.

        Check the  fiberglass  for star crazing, impact damage or osmosis bubbles.

        Spars and rigging need examination. Stays recommend replacing every 10 years. Ali mast and boom should be straight. Timber ones can go soft with rot.

        Check all instruments and electrics are working.

        However,  overall, there's not too much that can go wrong. They were built well and are great fun.

        I think £3,300 is ok if there's not much work to be done. Might be worth offering less as a good engine could be expensive.

        Good luck with the purchase.

        Best regards
        Tony

        On 23 Nov 2016 9:24 p.m., "Tony Baker tony08baker@... [privateer20]" <privateer20@...> wrote:

        Good evening everyone. This is my first post here so I would like to say hello to you all.
        This weekend I plan to look at a Privateer with a view to purchase, to sail on Lough Derg in Ireland and on the Shannon estuary.
        The asking price is £3,300 with no outboard, but with road trailer. Is that the sort of going rate? (I know it depends so much on condition!)
        The other question is whether there are any points to check specific to the Privateer?
        Many thanks and best  regards,  Tony.

      • Sean Norris
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 23, 2016
          Hi Tony

          The other Tony summed up what to look for. I am an ex Privateer owner.

          If things don't work out with that one I believe the people who bought my boat in 2014 wish to sell it due to lack of use. The boat is in West Cork. You can let me know if interested

          Sean Norris

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 23, 2016

            Thanks for the advice Tony. Apart from the light lay-up and the sticking keel, all pretty much what you would check on any boat. Encouraging to know that they don't have any major built-in faults.
            Hi Sean, I live in the Irish midlands, so just a day trip for me to West Cork. If the one I'm going to look at doesn't work out l'll be in touch.
            Thanks to you both, Tony.

            And I concur with Tony's comment that they are very lightly built;   indeed it is I who alerted him to that,  but them omitted to mention it in my own reply to you!

            Just as I also missed that you had already said she has no outboard.   And there is already some recent discussion on here about what outboard/s to consider for this boat.

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 23, 2016
              Going rate;  that is almost impossible to answer.    So much depends on not only condition but also level of equipment.     I have the impression that Privateers which have changed hands within the last 12 months have covered a range £1,000 to £5,000;   the difference being between a boat needing a fair amount of TLC plus quite a lot of re-equipping for serious cruising,  and one which is just about ready to go in most respects and is also in excellent cosmetic condition

              Points to look for:   None of these will necessarily be a bar to purchase of a boat at the right price,  but they can well inform your decision as to whether the asking price is fair for the boat.

              Condition of hull:    signs of damage,  including stress cracks in the gelcoat;   condition of deck fittings;     condition of drop keel winch and what is visible of the pivot bolt (you cannot check much more than this,  but this much will give you a clue as to whether it is well maintained);   condition of rubbing strakes and bowsprit (and its fittings);   condition of rudder hangings;    bilge pump/s;   condition of windows and seals,  hatches,  washboards;   pulpit & pushpit;  strongpoints for safety harnesses.

              Condition of rig:     spars,  sails,  standing rigging,   running rigging (halliards,  downhauls,  sheets,  reefing arrangements).

              Ground tackle;   don't underestimate the importance or relevance of this,  you will need seriously good ground tackle for serious cruising,  but that is seriously expensive!    Ideally look for a top quality 6 kg main anchor,  on at least 15 m of 6 mm chain or at least 5 m of 8 mm chain,  spliced to at least 30 m of nylon warp,  preferably octoplait,  plus a kedge of at least 4 kg on a similar length of warp and chain.   My own boat has a 6 kg Rocna with 15 m of 8 mm chain and 50 m of anchorplait warp for the main anchor;   and a 4 kg generic plough as a kedge,  on at least 5 m (and I think it is far more) of 6 mm chain and at least 30 m (possibly a lot more) of 3-strand nylon warp.

              Galley;   almost certainly if she has a gas stove you would need to bin it and replace with something safer.    A proper marine gas installation is indeed safe,  but horrendously expensive,  and difficult to install in a Privateer;   that requires a marine quality stove specifically designed for marine use (which will have higher quality valves),  a remote gas cylinder in an outside locker with a vent draining overboard,  a gas detector in the bilge,  a solenoid cut-off valve linked to the gas detector and also a manual cut-off valve,  a bilge blower,  and all piping to marine standards.    Vastly cheaper and easier is to use alcohol.    One of the better alcohol stoves is the Origo,  a still better (luxury) alternative is the Princess pressurised alcohol stove (but I gather that they are no longer made,  and the operator does need to learn the correct procedure for lighting it,  otherwise there is a risk of fire!),  while an el cheapo and safe alternative -  albeit  somewhat primitive  -  is the Trangia stove.

              Condition of outboard/s.

              Is there a tender?    In what condition?   Does it have an outboard?    Is it fully equipped (oars and outboard,  anchor and rode,  electric inflator and manual inflator)?    You don't want to be caught out in the tender,  unable to make either the yacht or the sore against wind and/or tide,  hence the need for both oars and outboard;  but if you are nonetheless caught out that is when you Urgently need the anchor ...     And when you arrive (by car) to launch you may well prefer an electric inflator,   but while you are away cruising that may not be practicable,  so you also need a manual inflator to carry onboard.

              Condition of trailer.

              Electrics & electronics:    nav lights (LEDs?),  anchor light (ditto),  cabin lights (ditto),  number and condition of batteries,  means of recharging batteries,  mains hookup equipment (for use in marinas),  instruments (depth sounder,  speed/distance log,  chartplotter),  VHF radio,  condition of wiring and switching.

              That is probably not a complete list,  and is written off the cuff,  but it is probably a good starting point.

              For what it is worth very few Privateers for sale will score highly against that checklist,  and most will be the basic boat plus trailer and little else.    My own one,  after seven seasons of ownership does score highly in all areas except cosmetic (and I am gradually now addressing that),  but in total she has cost me over £10k for the boat plus over £2500 for the trailer (2600 kg MGM swing beam 4-wheel trailer,  almost brand new when I bought it).   And she is very definitely not for sale!   That is not least because there would be no hope of recouping my outlay;   the expenditure was for a boat for me to sail and enjoy,  for extended cruising,  not for a boat to sell on.

              Hope that helps,

              Oliver

            • g2rywjymyuxj4ldb4cqgt4agkbmsexonybeqvszq
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 24, 2016
                Thanks for the detailed reply Oliver.
                I should perhaps have made it clearer that I am not new to boating, just new to Privateers. When I was a youth I lived in Gloucestershire and I used to go to Small Craft in Blockley to look at the Privateers being fitted out. (As if health and safety would allow a teenager in a workshop now!) At the time I had an old plywood sailing dinghy and I would go home from Blockley and dream about the voyages I would make in my Privateer. Somehow growing up seems to separate us from our boyhood dreams.
                But good news! Now I'm retired there is nothing to stop me buying my very own Privateer and sailing off into the blue or even into the grey.
              • g2rywjymyuxj4ldb4cqgt4agkbmsexonybeqvszq
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 27, 2016
                  Hi Sean,
                  I would be grateful if you could send me some details if you think your old boat is for sale.
                  Best regards ,  Tony .