Request of dimensions of motor well

  • martin.schwarz1966
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 15, 2017

      Hello ..i have to apologize in advance for my poor english language skills.

      Let me introduce myself first: my name is Martin, i am based in the north of Germany on the island Ruegen and of course i am a proud owner of a privateer 20'

      the former owner unfortunately closed the motor well and was using instead a tramson bracket for the out border. my plan is to rebuilt it - but unfortunately i could not see anymore the dimensions of this well.

      there for i am asking here for help - a picture with dimensions for ex or a drawing that would be great.

      you can reach me by email: martin.schwarz@...

      many thanks in advance

      cheers Martin

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 15, 2017
        Martin,

        Don't worry about your English language skills;    they are vastly better than my non-existent German language skills!   You are very welcome.

        I will try to get photos and measurements of my outboard well within the next few days.

        However there are both advantages and disadvantages to having the outboard in a well.    Before you go to a lot of trouble,  decide which route is the better for you.

        Advantages

        • Motor is always in place,  and does not need to be lowered before use.   Similarly,  when you have finished with the engine you just stop it,  but do not need to lift it clear of the water,  which can be difficult in big seas;   against that,  you may actually want to lift it clear,  because it will cause drag when you are sailing.
        • Propeller cannot foul the rudder blade under any circumstances;   so no risk of damage.
        • In steep seas,  particularly steep following seas,  it is easier to start and control a motor which is inboard and which does not require you to operate hanging over the stern.
        • In steep seas,  whether following or head seas,  the slightly more inboard position reduces the amount of time the propeller is out of the water
        • In close quarters manoeuvring situations,  e.g. coming into or leaving a crowded pontoon,  or in marina or lock manoeuvres,  the throttle and gear lever are more immediately to hand,  and so that much easier to control.
        • It avoids cluttering up the transom  -  and you may want to use that space for other purposes (e.g. tender,  outboard for tender,  self-steering gear,  etc.)
        • You can easily see the cooling tell-tale,  to check it,  without having to lean out over the transom.
        • Motor is very conveniently sited for connecting fuel line and charging cable (via the stern locker,  correctly called the lazarette).
        • You don't need any special safety precautions to secure the motor and cover the propeller before towing by road

        Disadvantages
        • The space around the securing clamps is very restricted,  making it difficult to fit a high quality seriously secure lock.   I have found only one quality lock currently in production which will fit (Atlantic 195 Slot Lock,  from Outboard Motor Loc Ltd.),  and even that requires the key to be heavily bent before it can be used.   (The Yamaha slot lock which I used to use is no longer in production.)
        • Water can splash up through the well and then find its way to flooding both the starboard cockpit seat and the cockpit sole.   This is exacerbated if for your particular engine the tell-tale for cooling water also discharges in a direction to have the same effect;   my previous Honda B5 did so regularly,  but my current Mercury seems a little less prone to it.   This becomes a minor nuisance on long passages.
        • The outboard fouls the tiller when the tiller is hard over to starboard.   This slightly limits full helm in that direction;   but rather more important it makes the cowling of the motor very vulnerable to cosmetic damage caused by the tiller hitting it.
        • When under sail the outboard permanently drags in the water;   it cannot be tilted clear
        • Even if the outboard is removed from the well (and then where do you stow it?),  the large hole at the bottom of the open well creates turbulence,  and thus drag,  unless you devise an insert which will both fill the hole and fair it off to give smooth water flow past it.
        • If the boat is left on a mooring,  or in a marina,  the engine will become covered in weed and barnacles unless you lift it right out of the well;  and that is not practicable during the course of a cruise,  when you are living aboard.
        • Just possibly more perceived noise,  because the motor is closer to you,  and you don't have the transom between you and the motor.
        • The well takes up a lot of space which could otherwise be very usefully incorporated into the lazarette.    Or alternatively it could make a self-draining gas locker.

        Personally,  on balance I am quite happy with my outboard in the well,  because that is the arrangement which I already have;   but the arguments are most certainly not all on the one side.   On the most crude assessment,  for what it is worth the above has almost equal numbers of points,  and equal space,  on both sides of the argument.   If a previous owner had removed my well,  and taken the space into the lazarette,  I don't think I would then reinstall a well;   the arguments are too finely balanced to justify the amount of work..

        Hope this is helpful,

        Oliver

      • Tony Glover
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 16, 2017
          Hi Martin
          Please find photos and dimensions of my Privateer engine well attached.
          Hope they're of use.
          If you need more info, please contact me.
          Best regards
          Tony Glover
          Northamptonshire, UK

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 16, 2017
            Oliver - many thanks for your quick reply ...very helpful so far......your the best ! cheers Martin
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 17, 2017
              Tony,

              Your attachment has not appeared.

              I have not been able to debug the reason,  but it seems that even though the controls are set to permit attachments,  in fact they never work.   Even I,  as the senior Moderator and with all the site privileges,  cannot post with attachments;   and I have been unable to correct this problem.

              This is even though there are other Yahoo Groups on which one can include attachments.

              Unfortunately the only workable options seem to be to either (1) put the dimensions into a post on the Message Board and separately upload the photos to the Photos section (either in an existing album or create a new album),  or (2) upload your original intended attachment to the Files section.

              Sorry about the technological problems;   blame Yahoo!

              Oliver

            • elidore@gmx.de
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 17, 2017
                Hello Martin,

                I wouldn't open a previously closed engine well.
                Actually, I was considering closing mine as well.

                For the simple reason, the engine well takes precious space off the back locker, which would come handy for fenders.
                Also I use an electric engine, as I sail on Edersee, Germany, where fuel engines aren't allowed. The electric motor is much smaller and lighter and doesn't need so much space.
                With the engine well, I can't pull the motor out of the water while sailing, as it would made steering impossible.
                I also noticed, when sailing a bit faster a kind of wave is building up in the confined space of the engine well and it is sometimes splashing into the cockpit.
                (Not often, as I don't sail fast with the old and original main sheet...) I can't even imagine, how this is at sea, where there is a swell.

                At the moment I've covered most of the engine well with a wooden board and left only a small opening for the electric engine, but I'm considering adding a fitting for an outboarder at the stern, so I can pull up the engine while sailing. Not for speed reasons, but for worry of the propeller and the engine, as it turns from the water pressure.

                Regards from Kassel, Germany
                Carola
              • Jonathan Knight

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 17, 2017
                    > Your attachment has not appeared.

                    The attachments have come through fine with the email

                    Thanks for that.

                    That is very strange,  and now that you mention it I think we have found it previously.   Attachments come through when posts are forwarded by email,  but they don't appear on the site itself!   And I can't find any way to make them visible there.

                    Oliver

                  • Martin Schwarz

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 18, 2017
                        Hi Martin
                        Pleased to be of help.

                        Attached photo is when I bought the boat with an outboard bracket (now removed).
                        I had to knock through the temporary boarding and tidy up the existing well.
                        Good luck with yours.

                        If you need anything else, do ask.
                        Best regards
                        Tony