Boom for a Bermuda Rigged Privateer

  • seannorris65
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 2012
      Having had my boat (Lady Irene) laid up for the last 3 years due to family commitments. However, I got her in the water this year and despite the terrible summer we got out for some family days. However a disaster has struck at the end of the season, the main boom has dissappeared off the boat and an extensive search of the boatyard and its environments has not yeilded any joy so I am on the hunt for a replacement boom for next season.

      To be honest I am not sure what I am looking for so any help or advice will be appreciated. The first obvious question is does anyone know of or have a boom for the privateer that might be available. Failing that I am trying to decide whether to replace with a similar sized boom or whether to get one made up. Needless to say I don n't have the dimensions of the existing boom in terms of lenght so if someone could tell me that I would be grateful. Also a source for the parts would be appreciated in particulare the gooseneck fitting and the swivel fitting at the aft end of the boom

      If I were to go down the new replacement route does anyone have any thoughts on a supplier, is there anyone else other than Z spars out there?

      Thank you in advance for any help

      Sean Norris
    • Oliver
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 23, 2012
        --- In privateer20@..., "seannorris65" <seannorris65@...> wrote:

        > Having had my boat (Lady Irene) laid up for the last 3 years due to family commitments. However, I got her in the water this year and despite the terrible summer we got out for some family days. However a disaster has struck at the end of the season, the main boom has dissappeared off the boat and an extensive search of the boatyard and its environments has not yeilded any joy so I am on the hunt for a replacement boom for next season.
        >
        > To be honest I am not sure what I am looking for so any help or advice will be appreciated. The first obvious question is does anyone know of or have a boom for the privateer that might be available. Failing that I am trying to decide whether to replace with a similar sized boom or whether to get one made up. Needless to say I don n't have the dimensions of the existing boom in terms of lenght so if someone could tell me that I would be grateful. Also a source for the parts would be appreciated in particulare the gooseneck fitting and the swivel fitting at the aft end of the boom
        >
        > If I were to go down the new replacement route does anyone have any thoughts on a supplier, is there anyone else other than Z spars out there?
        >
        > Thank you in advance for any help

        First, of course, as you have already identified, check on dimensions: I would hope that there are enough members with the bermudian rigged version out there to be able to measure up and supply that data. My own boat is the gaff cutter version, so I myself cannot help you there.

        However if push comes to shove, you presumably still have the sail. So you can measure both foot and luff length, and you also have the stated area of the sail (from the manufacturer's handbook, already on this site). Present this data to the spar manufacturer, together with details of the gooseneck (although be prepared to change this for whatever current fitting is compatible with their spars), and let them come up with the details of a suitable spar.

        Once you have the dimensions I would expect that most of the larger dinghy spars would be in the right ball park, but you will of course need to check for compatibility of dimensions. However if you do have to buy new - and I would hope that your insurer might be footing the bill - this does at least give you an increased range of manufacturers.

        Headline names from the dinghy world include Proctor (now, I gather, trading as Selden), Super Spars, and such retailers as Speed Sails. I would be inclined to supply them with the relevant dimensions, once you have ascertained them, and let them do the footwork.

        If offered a choice, if in any doubt I would go for a heavier rather than a lighter section for a cruising yacht - even if she is really only a "dinghy with a lid" rather than a true yacht.

        Similarly for the gooseneck fitting; this seems to me to be essentially a dinghy-type fitting.

        Hope this helps,

        Oliver
      • Oliver
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 23, 2012
          --- In privateer20@..., "Oliver" <oliver_shaw@...> wrote:

          > Headline names from the dinghy world include Proctor (now, I gather, trading as Selden), Super Spars, and such retailers as Speed Sails. I would be inclined to supply them with the relevant dimensions, once you have ascertained them, and let them do the footwork.

          As an addendum, I had an experience a few years ago which may help you.

          The mast of my GP14 dinghy was bent in an accident arising during a gale in the boat park of my club, and the insurers agreed to pay for a new mast. I duly took the boat plus the damaged mast to Speed Sails to collect the replacement.

          It so happens that the GP14 mast can have one of two different lengths, depending on the height of the mast step; later boats have it mounted higher than the original design. And the heel fitting is different between the two situations, possibly to ensure clear identification of which type any given mast actually is.

          What I was slightly surprised to learn was that Speed Sails stock only the longer (and earlier) length of mast, with the heel fitting not yet fitted. Then when they supply a new mast to a customer they shorten it to length if necessary, and then fit the appropriate heel fitting.

          I also have the very clear impression that different masts are specified by the manufacturer's standard extrusion number, and the length and the fittings. Although I have not had occasion to check on booms, it seems highly likely that essentially the same situation applies.

          Thus it seems possible that in your search for a boom you would not need to match to a dinghy having exactly the same length of boom, but rather ask your chosen spar manufacturer or retailer choose a suitable section, and then have it made up to the required length.

          Hope this helps,