Unid in Portuguese 90.7

  • Mauricio Molano Sánchez
    Message 1 of 20 , 1 Aug
      Hi friends,
      I have here a mistery station. On June 10th during one of
      the intense openings to the Canary Islands I was receiving
      on 90.7 Holland FM (Playa del Inglés, Gran Canaria) with
      good signal. At 09'45 H-FM was quickly supplanted by another
      station in Portuguese. It sounds to me like one of the usual
      Brazilian preachers. Reception lasted for around 1'30", then
      Holland FM dominated the frequency again.
      The problem is that there is no Portuguese station on 90.7
      nor from the continent nor from the islands (AZR, MDR)... nor
      on FMLIST, nor in the ANACOM site. A longer shot to Cabo Verde
      offers a station on this freq.: Rádio Morabeza. But programing
      has nothing to do with what I received.
      Some idea?...

      https://app.box.com/s/dq99nzvbs768pzv56uifs1ocdqf2ku3i

      Thanks!

      73!

      Mauricio Molano
      Salamanca
      ESPAÑA - SPAIN
      RX site:  Aldea del Cano, Cáceres.
      LAT:  39º17'09.70 N    LONG: 6º19'00 W
      RX: PERSEUS.   ANT: WELLBROOK ALA1530S+
      (http://moladx.blogspot.com/)
    • nickgilly
      Message 2 of 20 , 1 Aug
        Very intriguing Mauricio.

        Could it actually be from Brazil? A real stab in the dark but there is a religious station on 90.7 in Fortaleza on the NE coast of Brazil, Feliz FM. Looking at Google Maps it is inline with both the Canaries and Cape Verde from your location.

        I expect it'll turn out to be something much less exotic but, well, who knows?

        I hope you can get an ID on it.

        Good DX.

        Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

        RBRX Encore, Kenwood L-1000T, Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, horizontal Körner 9.2 beam (Antennenland version), Yaesu G-450C rotator

      • Marc Vissers
        Message 3 of 20 , 1 Aug

          Considering your location and the reception of CNR at the same time this must have been Brazil ! Typical excited program content which I previously heard on medium wave, shortwave and tropical bands over many years. Congrats !

          73, Marc

          Message 4 of 20 , 2 Aug
            Thanks Nick and Marc for yor comments.
            I thought myself of Brazil but more like a dream than a real
            posibility. I have followed Feliz FM at the same time of my
            reception and the kind of programming fits but, well, I would
            expect less signal and much more fading after a 5809 km trip!.

            73!

            Mauricio Molano
            Salamanca
            ESPAÑA - SPAIN
            RX site:  Aldea del Cano, Cáceres.
            LAT:  39º17'09.70 N    LONG: 6º19'00 W
            RX: PERSEUS.   ANT: WELLBROOK ALA1530S+
            (http://moladx.blogspot.com/)
          • Jurgen Bartels
            Message 5 of 20 , 2 Aug
              Mauricio,

              > reception and the kind of programming fits but, well, I would
              > expect less signal and much more fading after a 5809 km trip!. 73!

              I have recently zoomed in on the Carribean TV carriers (A2) to see if
              there are Doppler shifts, and found none. I did the the same last year
              on Jordan E3 (2-hop) and saw strong Doppler.

              That leads me to believe that these TA skips are not n-hop Es, but a
              different mechanism. So it makes sense that you don't see rapid
              fading.

              Perhaps Paul Logan can tell us what type of fading occurred during his
              TA FM-skips

              Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
              Ant. hor: 29-45MHz 7-el, 45-87MHz 11-el, FM 15.11, Band-3:13-el,
              UHF:48-el
              27-1000MHz: Airspy with HDSDR
              MW: 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
              http://zeiterfassung.3sdesign.de/station_list.htm StationList
              http://zeiterfassung.3sdesign.de/stationlist-m.htm StationList-M for
              Android
              http://dx.3sdesign.de/tv_offset_list.htm
            • mmolano2000
              Message 6 of 20 , 2 Aug
                Hi Jurgen,
                thanks for the info.
                Paul Logan has in his web some recordings of TA FM DX.
                His 2009 recordings of NA stations sounds as I would expect,
                as I myself have heard from Nigerian stations or Russians on
                the OIRT band (catched from Tarragona coast)... lots of quick
                fading. But his 2010 recording of WRTU (San Juan, PTR) sounds
                pretty similar to my enigmatic station.

                http://band2dx.webs.com/tafm10.htm

                  Message 8 of 20 , 3 Aug
                    Mauricio,

                    > His 2009 recordings of NA stations sounds as I would expect,
                    > as I myself have heard from Nigerian stations or Russians on
                    > the OIRT band (catched from Tarragona coast)... lots of quick
                    > fading. But his 2010 recording of WRTU (San Juan, PTR) sounds
                    > pretty similar to my enigmatic station.

                    Your catches were most likley 2Es, so fading would match.
                    My recent 2Es on OIRT was quite stable, poss. an exception.

                    But anything further most likely isn't a classical n-hop anymore.
                    So keep the distance in mind.

                    Message 9 of 20 , 3 Aug
                      Hi friends,
                      Rocco Cotroneo has replied me in RealDX:

                      Rocco Cotroneo
                      Hoy a las 17:14

                      Mauricio
                      even if the preacher has for sure a NE Brazilian accent, at 1:10 the man talks about a "Centro de Ajuda" which turned out to be a branch of the Igreja Universal do Reino de Deus in Portugal.
                      Here is the link

                      https://centrodeajuda.pt

                      So, I'd say Continental Portugal os islands. Sorry!
                      Rocco
                      -----

                      My reply:

                      Thanks Rocco for this valuable info.
                      The problem with Portugal (mainland or islands) is that
                      there are no stations on 90.7 MHz. Researching about the
                      IURD Centro de Ajuda I have found that this people have a
                      branch in Praia, Cabo Verde.This local C-d-A produces
                      programing for Radio Crioula (88.5/94.9)... Maybe also on
                      weekends on Radio Morabeza??... or only a "commercial" in
                      Morabeza?. Cabo Verde stations have been heard via tropo
                      in the Canary Is. I need to investigate some more!

                      Thanks!
                      -----

                      The Cabo Verde option is open again for me

                      73!

                      Mauricio Molano
                      Salamanca
                      ESPAÑA - SPAIN
                      RX site:  Aldea del Cano, Cáceres.
                      LAT:  39º17'09.70 N    LONG: 6º19'00 W
                      RX: PERSEUS.   ANT: WELLBROOK ALA1530S+
                      (http://moladx.blogspot.com/)
                    • Luís Carvalho
                      Message 10 of 20 , 3 Aug
                        Hello all,

                        I can confirm that there are currently no txs in Portugal on 90.7. If the logged station was broadcasting ​some kind of religious px on the mentioned frequency, I am 99.99% sure it wasn't from Portugal.

                        Regards & good DX,
                        Luís Carvalho

                        Message 11 of 20 , 3 Aug
                          Obrigado Luís!
                          In the first message there is a link to the recording of this
                          station just in the case you would like to listen to it.

                          Message 12 of 20 , 19 Aug
                            The Cabo Verde option seems to vanish. I have followed the web streams of R. Crioula and Morabeza stations on saturday and found Crioula with exactly the same program I heard at the very same time. The problem is that there is no relay station of Crioula on 90.7 MHz. They have confirmed this via FB and sent the actual list of freqs. and sites used (differs a bit from those on FMLIST):

                            Island        TX                    Frec.    kW
                            Santiago     Monte Tchota     88.5      3
                            Santiago     Praia                 94.9      1
                            Fogo          Monte Barro       89.6      1
                            Sal             Morro Curral      98.9      2
                            S.Vicente   Mindelo             89.6     0,5

                            No Portugal, no Cabo Verde...

                            Message 13 of 20 , 19 Aug
                              > The Cabo Verde option seems to vanish. I have followed the web streams of R.
                              > Crioula and Morabeza stations on saturday and found Crioula with exactly the
                              > same program I heard at the very same time. The problem is that there is no
                              > relay station of Crioula on 90.7 MHz. They have confirmed this via FB and sent
                              > the actual list of freqs. and sites used (differs a bit from those on
                              > FMLIST):

                              Perhaps it is relayed by a station which they are not aware of?
                              Is there any tx on 90,7 ?

                              Message 14 of 20 , 19 Aug

                                ok, ok... the Cabo Verde path is open again!
                                There is only one station on 90.7 on the Islands: Rádio Morabeza.
                                I have followed their web stream on saturdays at the same time I received
                                the DX station and I have only heard a musical program. I re-questioned
                                Crioula FM if they know if Morabeza broadcast some programing from this
                                "Centro de Ajuda" (C-d-A is a branch of Brazilian IURD, owners of TV Record
                                and Record is the owner of Crioula FM). They have just replied positively.
                                They have told me that Morabeza broadcast that same program at the same time
                                I have heard the DX station and that programing from the C-d-A is on other
                                CPV islands stations also. The question is why I have not heard this program in
                                the web stream... Maybe they sent music to internet while the C-d-A program is
                                sent to the FM station?...  I have asked Morabeza also but no reply until now.

                                73!

                                Mauricio Molano
                                Salamanca
                                ESPAÑA - SPAIN
                                RX site:  Aldea del Cano, Cáceres.
                                LAT:  39º17'09.70 N    LONG: 6º19'00 W
                                RX: PERSEUS.   ANT: WELLBROOK ALA1530S+
                                (http://moladx.blogspot.com/)
                              • ilkka suni

                                  Message 16 of 20 , 21 Aug
                                    Received this morning from Rádio Morabeza in Portuguese (Google trans.):
                                    "Good day Maurício,
                                    Thank you for contacting us, Maurício.
                                    It IS our broadcast, yes. This program is an hour paid by the IURD that we have in our broadcast. We are a commercial and private radio, national and generalist. We transmit in 90.7 in the islands of São Vicente, São Nicolau and Santo Antão, 93.7 in Santiago, Maio and Fogo.
                                    Thanks for listening to us."

                                    Aldea del Cano (Cáceres) to Monte Verde, São Vicente Is., Cabo Verde==> 3076 km. My best DX of this
                                    summer!.

                                    73!

                                    Mauricio Molano
                                    Salamanca
                                    ESPAÑA - SPAIN
                                    RX site:  Aldea del Cano, Cáceres.
                                    LAT:  39º17'09.70 N    LONG: 6º19'00 W
                                    RX: PERSEUS.   ANT: WELLBROOK ALA1530S+
                                    (http://moladx.blogspot.com/)
                                  • John Faulkner

                                      Message 18 of 20 , 21 Aug

                                        No Brazil unfortunately as it first seemed, but still a very nice catch ! Congratulations ! 😊

                                        73, Marc (Belgium)

                                          Message 20 of 20 , 21 Aug
                                            Thank you all for your kind words and for your contributions to solve this puzzle!
                                            Brazil?... maybe next year!