Re: LED lamps

  • sv_hopkins
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008
      Hi Jurgen,

      I have installed 2 x 6 lamp LEDs in my kitchen. No effects so far.
      hope that is ok.

      73's

      --- In skywavesmw@..., "Jurgen Bartels" <jurgenb2@...>
      wrote:

      > I am considering to put LED lamps in the ceiling of some rooms.
      > Has anyone gained experiences about how much interference they may
      cause in the
      > LW-MW-SW bands? FM & TV should not be a problem I think.
      >
      > How about experiences with halogene lamps.
      >
      > So far I have stayed away from those, but LEDs are just too tempting
      >

      > Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
      > http://dx.3sdesign.de/tv_logs_2008.htm
      >
      > http://fewo.3sdesign.de - Holidays at Northsea coast

    • Jurgen Bartels
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008
        > I have installed 2 x 6 lamp LEDs in my kitchen. No effects so far.
        > hope that is ok.

        Thanks for that.
        After reading more user experiences with those, I will not use them. They are
        no real replacement because they are much less bright than advertisements may
        suggest. It needs a lot more time to be further developed.
        Interestingly some companies that used to produce them have silently backed out
        of that line.
        It would have been a nice solution, oh well may be in a few years it will....

        BTW:
        I installed fluorescent lamps with an electronic balast. Those things create a
        lot of noise accross MW when I hold a portable radio at a distance of less than
        5m. Once I have the feed cables to the beverages installed I will see if this
        noise is still a problem

        Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
        http://dx.3sdesign.de/tv_logs_2008.htm

        http://fewo.3sdesign.de - Holidays at Northsea coast
      • Mark Hattam
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008
          > > I have installed 2 x 6 lamp LEDs in my kitchen. No effects so far.
          >> hope that is ok.
          >
          >Thanks for that.
          >After reading more user experiences with those, I will not use them. They are
          >no real replacement because they are much less bright than advertisements may
          >suggest. It needs a lot more time to be further developed.
          >Interestingly some companies that used to produce them have silently
          >backed out
          >of that line.
          >It would have been a nice solution, oh well may be in a few years it will....
          >
          >BTW:
          >I installed fluorescent lamps with an electronic balast. Those things create a
          >lot of noise accross MW when I hold a portable radio at a distance
          >of less than
          >5m. Once I have the feed cables to the beverages installed I will see if this
          >noise is still a problem

          The advantages of LED lamps is that they run (like GU10) off mains
          and generate hardly any waste heat. Great therefore for lighting
          cupboards and small enclosed spaces.

          The disadvantages are that they are (not yet) anywhere near as bright
          as halogen type lamps, and even the "white" light ones are distinctly
          "cold" light (ie blueish).

          Easiest way I've found to reduce noise from lights and/or their
          switched mode transformers is to switch them off in the house and
          just have a "normal" lamp on by the radio.

          Mark
        • Jurgen Bartels
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008
            > Easiest way I've found to reduce noise from lights and/or their
            > switched mode transformers is to switch them off in the house and
            > just have a "normal" lamp on by the radio.

            I was glad to find halogen lamps that run directly off 220V, no need for a
            noisy transformer. You have to watch carefully in the shops not to buy 12V
            lamps inadvertenly.