Hello---new member here.....

  • buckeyeair2
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi all;
      I am a new member on this forum as well as new to SWL and MW
      listening...I am located in Central Ohio USA and interested in
      learning more about MW DX'ing...I am using an ICOM R-70 as well as a RS
      DX-394.....my main restrictions now are a proper MW antenna as well as
      space........I live in a Condo community and outside antenneas are not
      permitted so I am currently using a 33' sloper ant in my attic and have
      just received an 80' longwire ant that I intend on having my son
      install (I am in a wheelchair) in an L or U configuration in the attic
      in a N/S configuration as the sloper is installed in an E/W
      configuration both made by a gent on ebay that goes by the handle of
      lowbander....I am told that neither of these are ideal
      for MW DXing !!!...so I guess I need yet another antenna (Lol)---I have
      heard that Loop antennas especially made for MW are very popular and
      several different ones where mentioned to me on the Yahoo antenna forum.
      I am looking forward to learning more and also making new friends.....
      73's
      glenn (buckeyeair)
    • John Faulkner
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
        Hello Glenn and welcome to the group!

        It's a shame when you have restrictions on aerials.  I used to have such restrictions a few years ago so I know how that feels.  I wondered if you have considered using an indoor loop or even an indoor ewe or flag antenna?  Flags and ewes can work surprisingly well indoors but are less easy to rotate.

        I am out of touch with loop antennas these days.  My ALA1530 loop is long redundant since I discovered the excellent directivity of the ewe and flag antennas.  You can find construction details here:  http://www.dxing.info/equipment/ewe.dx  For the flag, simply disregard the earth connections and link the bottom of the wires to each other with another length of wire (to match the top wire).  This converts the ewe into a flag, which I generally improves directivity.

        You can't beat the loop antenna for size though.  Even small loops work surprisingly well.  Some DXers have even been known to wind the loop antenna around the walls of their shack and so actually sit inside the loop!

        Phasing a loop and a longwire gives excellent results in nulling out unwanted signals - often on stronger local signals too!  Worth experimenting.

        If anybody has designs for loop antennas, why not post them here or post a link?

        Cheers

        John

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
          John;
          Thanks much for the reply and suggestions....I had never heard of
          either the 'ewe' or 'flag' antennas....very interesting info and
          thanks for the link.....I have been studying up on Loops that various
          Co.'s make for MW listening.....I would think it would be a big
          improvement over what I now have to install a fairly large loop in my
          attic and mount it on a Rotator----I would think that a simple TV
          type rotator would work as the loop would be pretty light in weight.
          I will do some research on the 'ewes' and 'flag' desighns......I am
          wondering if I can use the 80' long wire in a different configuration
          such as wrapping it around a piece of PVC pipe and standing it on
          end, it has 80' of wire attached to a 9/1 balun then 50' of lead-in
          coax with a PL259 plug on the receiver end...yes--?--no--?--as you
          can see I know NOTHING about this hobby as of yet but am willing to
          learn...
          Thanks again and 73's
          glenn (buckeyeair)

          --- In skywavesmw@..., John Faulkner