Ashfield DX Log: 01-04-06

  • John Faulkner
    Message 1 of 11 , 1 Apr 03:04
      680 CFTR Toronto ON. "Toronto news and weather in 6-80 News"
      Good 0536 01/04 JF

      1010 CFRB Toronto ON. ID. Newstaklk Ten Ten CFRB" news
      Good 0532 31/03 JF

      1020 KDKA Pittsburgh PA. "Check out our website at
      kdkaradio.com" Weak 0537 01/04 JF

      1050 WEPN New York NY. "ESPN 10-50" Rolling sports news
      Good 0539 01/04 JF

      1100 WWWE Cleveland OH. Coast to Coast show
      Good 0545 01/04 JF

      1110 WBT Charlotte NC. Coast to Coast show
      Weak 0554 01/04 JF

      1250 CJYE Oakville ON. Godsongs. "Joy 12-50" mixing US sport
      station Fair 0550 01/04 JF

      1410 WPOP Hartford CT. "ESPN 14-10 WPOP" ID. Sports! Mixing
      another English talk station Weak 05:30 01/04 JF

      1480 WSAR Fall River. ID at toh "14-80 WSAR Fall River"
      Fair peaks Fair 0100 30/03 JF

      Very poor around the midnight slot but an improvement by sunrise.

      My overnight recording on 1590 produced nothing of note, just a
      presumed WARV.

      The good news here is that some minor modifications have made quite
      dramatic improvements to the nulling capabilities of the ewe
      antenna. For instance, 1410 was always a difficult channel and I
      have only ever heard occasional snippets of speech between dreadful
      splatter (not sure if this is from 1404 or 1413 without checking).
      This morning I was able to hear two English north American stations,
      one being WPOP at weak but quite readable levels. 1420 was also
      difficult but this morning had a Latin American music station and a
      north American talk mixing together! 1310 had a north American too -
      first time I have heard anything on here since the 80's! 1020 KDKA
      was easy, despite not being of any great strength. Even 1340 kHz had
      a station at one point!

      Good DX!

      John
      AOR AR7030, ewe antenna, Dream DSP-IF v1.5csv
    • Daviesruby@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , 1 Apr 04:42
        John

        Are you nocturnal ?

        Mark
      • Paul Logan
        Message 3 of 11 , 1 Apr 07:46
          --- Daviesruby@... wrote:

          > John
          >
          > Are you nocturnal ?
          >
          > Mark

          Like a lot of Dxers he's found a way to live with
          nocturnal transmissions.

          Paul Logan,
          Lisnaskea, N. Ireland.

          Low VHF / FMDX page http://www.geocities.com/yogi540

        • John Faulkner
          Message 4 of 11 , 1 Apr 07:51
            Am I nocturnal?

            Not at all. In fact I tend to require more sleep than most people I
            know. I have developed a nightly routine for my MW DX listening
            though.

            Firstly, I'm usually in bed by 11pm, midnight at the latest. I may
            have an hour or two under the headphones if it's convenient. I
            record everything overnight via Dream software. If anything
            interesting comes up I discreetly make a note on a digital
            dictaphone. Discreetly so as not to wake my other half. If I awake
            at sunrise I might have a tune around for an hour. I rarely get up
            before 9am so I have usually had more than enough sleep.

            When I'm not at the dials I just choose a particular channel and let
            Dream record record it for me. This channel might get changed if I
            get up in the middle of the night to do the sort of things people
            normally get up to do in the middle of the night, if you see what I
            mean. This is typically twice a night in my case. Anyway, "too much
            information" as they say these days.

            It only takes me a few minutes the following morning to go through
            the overnight recording and reference any notes from my earlier
            dictation. I check the hour and half-hour from the recording which
            doesn't take more than a few minutes. If there is anything
            interesting it may take a little longer while I do any research or
            study more of the recording. Probably not much more than half an
            hour at the most while Ihave breakfast.

            So you see, the system works very well and it's quick too!

            My "day job" keeps me occupied for the rest of the day once I have
            got my DX out of the way. Plus I work from home which has its
            obvious advantages! ;0)

            Good DX

            John

            --- In skywavesmw@..., Daviesruby@a... wrote:

            > John
            >
            > Are you nocturnal ?
            >
            > Mark

          • Tim Bucknall
            Message 5 of 11 , 1 Apr 09:08
              Message 6 of 11 , 1 Apr 09:58
                John

                I did not mean to offend at all, my quip was only meant as it was implied ...in jeasture. I enjoy reading your logs and am envious of your catches. Perhaps I should not be so light hearted. Sorry. I like your system and whould love to work from home as you do, im actually trying to do this. As you may recall Im hoping you and Julian H. will come to stay over the summer. Looking foreward to meeting you in person. Im all set up for FM but not having much luck on MW. I need to sort thre antenna out only a G5RV at present.

                Yours sincererly

                Mark

                Anglesey
              • John Faulkner
                Message 7 of 11 , 2 Apr 04:35
                  Hi Mark,

                  No offence taken at all! :0)

                  It gave me the opportunity to explain how I do what I do as I'm sure
                  some members will think I'm permanently glued to the receiver!

                  Not checked my overnight recording yet but I recorded 1370 as there
                  were quite a few things happening. WDEA was the best I have ever
                  heard it. I will put a recording up online soon.

                  A little busy today. I'll try and get back on here later.

                  Cheers Mark

                • Daviesruby@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , 2 Apr 11:38
                    Thanks John

                    Im trying to get Dream set up but having problems. Julian is sendining me the bits for an ewe looking foreward to that. Im playing with my new fm set up at the moment,  rotators dont half frighten the neighbours. They are convinced that channel 5 isnt so good ! (not that they can get it)

                    By the way I know what you mean in the middle of the night ...too much info as you say..old age does nt come by itself unfortunately. And there was me thinking i was Peter Pan

                    Take care

                    Mark
                  • Jurgen Bartels
                    Message 9 of 11 , 6 Apr 10:15
                      > Firstly, I'm usually in bed by 11pm, midnight at the latest. I may
                      > have an hour or two under the headphones if it's convenient. I
                      > record everything overnight via Dream software. If anything

                      John,
                      With Dream, how do get the time references like those you get in RecPro-All?
                      Dream only records WAV and does not have that function.

                      >The good news here is that some minor modifications have made quite
                      > dramatic improvements to the nulling capabilities of the ewe

                      What modifications did you do on it?

                      Jurgen
                    • John Faulkner
                      Message 10 of 11 , 6 Apr 10:46
                        > Firstly, I'm usually in bed by 11pm, midnight at the latest.  I may
                        > have an
                        hour or two under the headphones if it's convenient.  I
                        > record
                        everything overnight via Dream software.  If anything

                        John,
                        With Dream, how do get the time references like those you get in RecPro-All?
                        Dream only records WAV and does not have that function.

                        I don't think you can.  I name the file something like " 2235gmt-06-04-06.wav " which refers to the actual time I start the recording, using a radio-controlled clock of course.  The file is converted to mp3 then opened up in WaveLab.  I can add time markers, shave off part of the recording, in fact do all kinds of things so I know the exact time of any part of the recording.   I can actually *see* where the signal fades and where the splatter is by just looking at the waveform.

                        >The good news here is that some minor modifications have made quite
                        > dramatic improvements to the nulling capabilities of the ewe

                        What modifications did you do on it?

                        Well, I said "minor" modifications.  The variable resistor is now housed in a watertight box and part of a small pcb.  The pot is now a 10k logarithmic type and the best nulls are foudn around 2-4k.  I can add capacitance now too.  But the main thing which caused the improvement was when I repositioned the rear vertical and moved the earth rod by a few inches.  I don't know why this worked so well but it did.

                        I deliberately tried to recreate the original ewe, using the same supports and positioning but it was actually worse.  There appears to be a degree of *luck* in this.  Why the ewe should work better after moving the rear vertical a few inches (six?) I do not know.

                        Perhaps the word "modification" is irrelevant but the performance difference was significant.

                        I will take some photos and record examples one day.  Right now things are upside-down here.  I'm not sure if I am about to move area.  Domestic issues.

                        Cheers

                        John

                        Jurgen

                      • Jurgen Bartels
                        Message 11 of 11 , 6 Apr 23:40
                          > I deliberately tried to recreate the original ewe, using the same supports and
                          > positioning but it was actually worse. There appears to be a degree of *luck*
                          > in this. Why the ewe should work better after moving the rear vertical a few
                          > inches (six?) I do not know.

                          Perhaps is has more to do with the changing soil conditions. And those are
                          pretty hard to judge.

                          Jurgen