Re: Sprog II & JMRI 2.14 - no response / no reply

  • Frolin Marek
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 15, 2012
      Jerry,

      Yea the Sprog worked great until I upgrade to JMRI 2.14 version.

      Think the JAVA says 1.6, does that have to be updated to use 2.14 JMRI? Odd is, even JMRI 1.6 and 1.8, older versions no longer talk to the Sprog.

      Something tells me the Sprog connection to the PC, is where the comm maybe failing, but JMRI 2.14 seems to have more options, settings and things to complicate the plumbing, so not sure whats up.

      Frolin
    • Kevin Dickerson
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 16, 2012
        Frolin,

        As far as the basic connectivity is concerned there is no added
        complication to the program.  If it is no longer working in version 1.6
        or 1.8 this indicated that there is an issue with the connection between the two.  The simple test of getting the Sprog Version is a good
        indication of if things are working or not.

        The Sprog is supported in JMRI 2.14 and there is no intention for it to be removed.

        Are you connecting the SPROG directly into a USB port on the Computer or via a USB hub?  Have you tried connecting it to a different port directly on the Computer?  Have you tried a different usb cable, quite often a faulty cable will allow the device to be listed in the device manager but will not allow it to operate correctly.

        Regards
        Kevin

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 16, 2012
          Frolin,

          There should be no issues with software versions. As kevin indicated this sounds more like a hardware problem.

          It may be just a co-incidence that it has happened at the same time as a software update.

          First thing to try is quit decoderpro, disconnect and power down the SPROG, then start again. Conect the SPROG, power up, check the device manager, start DP and check the preferences.

          If you have a terminal program on your PC you can try connecting to the SPROGs COM port at 9600baud, 8 bits, no parity. Sending a '?' should get a reply with the version.

          Does that help? If not then please return it to us. We can update the firmware at the same time.

          Regards,

          Andrew

          --- In sprog-dcc@..., Kevin Dickerson <kw.dickerson@...> wrote:

          > Frolin,
          >
          > As far as the basic connectivity is concerned there is no added
          > complication to the program.  If it is no longer working in version 1.6
          > or 1.8 this indicated that there is an issue with the connection between the two.  The simple test of getting the Sprog Version is a good
          > indication of if things are working or not.
          >
          > The Sprog is supported in JMRI 2.14 and there is no intention for it to be removed.
          >
          > Are you connecting the SPROG directly into a USB port on the Computer or via a USB hub?  Have you tried connecting it to a different port directly on the Computer?  Have you tried a different usb cable, quite often a faulty cable will allow the device to be listed in the device manager but will not allow it to operate correctly.
          >

          > Regards
          > Kevin
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Frolin Marek
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 16, 2012
            Gotta luv it when things just... stop working... then start again.

            After various attempts to get the Sprog to respond, from cold boots, various power on steps, reloading JMRI and the drivers, no luck.

            No clue why, just started working.

            Sure wish I knew why it stopped working though.

            Frolin
          • Gerry Hopkins MMR
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 16, 2012
              Frolin,

              On 17/03/2012 5:24 PM, Frolin Marek wrote:
              > No clue why, just started working.
              >
              > Sure wish I knew why it stopped working though.

              Murphy's Law - and today is St Patrick's Day

              Gerry

              --
              Gerry Hopkins MMR #177
              Great Northern - Downunder

              NMRA - Australasian Region
              Education, AP& Contest Manager
              http://www.nmra.org.au

              Easydcc& Decoder Pro User
            • thomasmclae
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 18, 2012
                I discovered yesterday that the polarity of the power wiring matters.
                The wire with the white strip goes to the outside clip.

                Took three hours swapping parts between three sprogs to determine this simple fact. :/

                Thomas
                DeSoto

                --- In sprog-dcc@..., "Frolin Marek" <Frolin@...> wrote:

                > Gotta luv it when things just... stop working... then start again.
                >
                > After various attempts to get the Sprog to respond, from cold boots, various power on steps, reloading JMRI and the drivers, no luck.

                > No clue why, just started working.
                >
                > Sure wish I knew why it stopped working though.
                >

                > Frolin

              • railwayeng
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 19, 2012
                  You were holding your mouth wrong before. Now you have your
                  mouth angled just right. Everybody knows that.
                  -Steve Hatch

                  --- In sprog-dcc@..., "Frolin Marek" <Frolin@...> wrote:

                  > Gotta luv it when things just... stop working... then start again.
                  >
                  > After various attempts to get the Sprog to respond, from cold boots, various power on steps, reloading JMRI and the drivers, no luck.

                  > No clue why, just started working.
                  >
                  > Sure wish I knew why it stopped working though.
                  >

                  > Frolin

                • f7warbonnet
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 9, 2012
                    I have exactly the same problem. Didn't work on one laptop so installed on another. Work great right off. Shut down packed up the laptop took it to a train show three days later and now get error 306. JMRI shows the sprog online but can't communicate with it. I've done everything possible. Totally removed all aspects of the sprog and DP 2.14 program and settings, did a reg clean, rewired everything, checked continuity of all wiring. tried three different comports, and nothing. Unfortunately I see there is still no found cause or fix for the issue. I have an expensive sprog laying here that isn't even heavy enough to use as a paperweight.

                    Mark

                    --- In sprog-dcc@..., "railwayeng" <hatch@...> wrote:

                    > You were holding your mouth wrong before. Now you have your
                    > mouth angled just right. Everybody knows that.
                    > -Steve Hatch
                    >

                    > --- In sprog-dcc@..., "Frolin Marek" <Frolin@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Gotta luv it when things just... stop working... then start again.
                    > >
                    > > After various attempts to get the Sprog to respond, from cold boots, various power on steps, reloading JMRI and the drivers, no luck.

                    > > No clue why, just started working.
                    > >
                    > > Sure wish I knew why it stopped working though.
                    > >

                    > > Frolin

                  • Kevin Dickerson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 10, 2012
                      --- In sprog-dcc@..., "f7warbonnet" <santafeman@...> wrote:

                      > I have exactly the same problem. Didn't work on one laptop so installed on another. Work great right off. Shut down packed up the laptop took it to a train show three days later and now get error 306. JMRI shows the sprog online but can't communicate with it. I've done everything possible. Totally removed all aspects of the sprog and DP 2.14 program and settings, did a reg clean, rewired everything, checked continuity of all wiring. tried three different comports, and nothing. Unfortunately I see there is still no found cause or fix for the issue. I have an expensive sprog laying here that isn't even heavy enough to use as a paperweight.
                      >
                      > Mark

                      Mark,

                      When you have PanelPro loaded, if you go to the Sprog menu and select "Sprog Version" what response do you get? It should return the firmware version which would indicate that things are talking correctly. If it doesn't return anything, have you tried a different usb cable? I know that in the past that faulty usb cable have ended up being the cause of such issues.

                      Regards
                      Kevin
                    • thomasmclae
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 10, 2012
                        Mark,
                        When you broke the system down to move, did you happen to disconnect the power supply?

                        I went nuts one day trying to figure out why two new Sprogs would sometimes work, and then not. (After replacing a bad power supply)
                        Turns out the polarity of the power feed matters. I swapped the polarity of the power wires, and the magic returned!

                        One wire is marked ("+" or white stripe). This wire goes to the outside connector.
                        Thomas
                        DeSoto, TX

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 20, 2012
                          MArk,

                          Sorry for the delay in responding, I didn't notice this post.

                          No one need ever be left with "an expensive sprog laying here that isn't even heavy enough to use as a paperweight"!

                          I'm guesing you ar ein the US, is that correct? I don't know much about consumer legislation in the US, but in Europe your first step would be to return it to the retailer. If that doesn't help please contact our US distributor http://www.sprog.us.com/

                          Regards,

                          Andrew Crosland
                          http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk