Libraries

  • Al
    Message 1 of 22 , 5 Apr 11:39
      Can anyone tell me please how I can create my own symbols and add them to a library, specifically, the 74TTL. Each time I try, I get to the point of saving the file (symbol) that I have created, and I get an error message
      "SQLITE_READONLY[8]: attempt to write a readonly database"
      I need a 3-input AND gate, but can not find or create one in the program.
    • Dustin Sanders
      Message 2 of 22 , 5 Apr 23:07
        Move them to a location you have access to.
        I assume your in a Windows NT/200/Vista/7 Environment?
        Since your likely not running TC as administrator, you don't have access to the library files in its install directory.
        I have a directory in my home folder just for application libraries which I DO have access to. Another option is to start your own library again in your home folder.

        Hope that helps.

        --
        Dustin Sanders
        Computer/Electrical Engineering

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 22 , 6 Apr 16:08
          the standard TTL library has a 3 input AND gate, at least mine does

          On Thu, 2012-04-05 at 18:39 +0000, Al wrote:
          > Can anyone tell me please how I can create my own symbols and add them to a library, specifically, the 74TTL. Each time I try, I get to the point of saving the file (symbol) that I have created, and I get an error message
          > "SQLITE_READONLY[8]: attempt to write a readonly database"
          > I need a 3-input AND gate, but can not find or create one in the program.

          Jeff <n7yg@...>
        • jackschmidling
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 20, 2013
            I have been using TC for years and just recently got into VEEcad for strip board. Nothing seems to work so I downloaded the latest TC version and now have other problems.

            It said there are no libraries installed but there is a lib folder in the download with lots of files.

            All I seem to be able to do is load one library file at a time which is very tiresome. Seems I should be able to load the whole folder.

            I never had this problem before. What am I missing?

            Jack
          • Don Lucas
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 20, 2013

              Hi Jack –

              TinyCAD has never been able to load more than one library at a time and that is a much requested feature.  At least you only have to do this once and then it will remember your libraries.  TinyCAD only pre-loads all of the installed libraries when you are performing a first time install.  Even uninstalling does not remove any previous registry information and that is where the list of libraries is stored.

              Out of curiosity, which version did you just install?  Did you uninstall the previous version (not that it matters a lot, but I am curious).

              Thanks,

              Don

              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 20, 2013
                Thanks but it's a mystery how all those files got into the program as I
                do not remember doing it.

                js

                --

                Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber, Gems,
                Nature, Radio, Sheep, Sausage, Silver

                http://schmidling.com
              • Don Lucas
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 20, 2013
                  When you very first installed TinyCAD (no matter what version), TinyCAD
                  autoloaded the full list of libraries. No matter how many times that you
                  have upgraded over the last 16 years, the file names and locations have
                  remained the same. The very latest pre-release which isn't on Sourceforge
                  yet, but is available in the user's group now implements the proper Windows
                  data locations protocol and moved the libraries to the area sometimes known
                  as "My Documents". This was all that was required to be compatible with
                  Windows Vista, Windows 7/anything, and Windows 8/anything. Only if you
                  uninstalled your old copy of TinyCAD prior to installing the new one would
                  you have uninstalled the old libraries and thus lost your file name paths.
                  A small price to pay to now install correctly on all commonly available
                  versions of Windows (note that TinyCAD may no longer run on Windows
                  98/ME/95. Also, TinyCAD probably requires SP3 on XP, but that has been the
                  case for the last several years.

                  Don

                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 23, 2013
                    Thanks but now I have another problem, sort of a chicken and egg thing.

                    VEEcad says we must use their library to be compatible with TC but neither TC nor VC have the components I need for my current project.

                    It's easy to make outlines in VC but TC doesn't seem to be interested in them

                    My project is a PIC counter using an IR sensor to count revs and display it on a 4 digit 7 seg display.

                    I already made this the hard way on a strip board with a 3 seg display but the next one needs the extra digit and it is common cathode instead of common anode so it is worth a redesign and a learning experience but so far I am not learning much useful.

                    The PIC is a 16F628 and the display is a 24 pin Common Cathode thing I found on Ebay.

                    I can find neither to build a TC schematic.

                    Any help would be appreciated.

                    Thanks,

                    js
                  • a10d0n
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 28, 2013
                      I can't answer in detail because I don't use veecad.
                      In the 'Microcontroller' library which is downloaded (probably in 'Program Files' or similar folder) and installed with TinyCAD v2.80.05 there is a PIC16F628 symbol but it doesn't have a 'package' defined. If you add a suitable value for the package attribute which corresponds with a component outline name in veecad then you may be in with a chance. For the display you will probably have to create a TinyCAD symbol and link it to a veecad outline using the TinyCAD symbol 'Package' attribute as above. Make sure the pin numbers agree.

                      Generally you 'Add' a parameter to the symbol properties pop-up (defaults to 'Other').
                      Edit 'Other' to 'Package' and put the name of the part outline used in veecad into the 'value' field.
                      That name should then be carried in the Protel format netlist over to veecad and call up the outline.

                      I saw in the veecad help file that veecad does install a TinyCAD library - probably in the veecad install folder. If you add that to the TinyCAD library list it may help a little. You probably won't find many (or any) symbols you want but may be useful for examples.
                      (Bear in mind that you probably won't be able to edit anything inside the system areas so preferably move them somewhere else first.)

                      Hope that helps

                      Phil

                      --- In tinycad@..., "jackschmidling" <jack@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks but now I have another problem, sort of a chicken and egg thing.
                      >
                      > VEEcad says we must use their library to be compatible with TC but neither TC nor VC have the components I need for my current project.
                      >
                      > It's easy to make outlines in VC but TC doesn't seem to be interested in them
                      >
                      > My project is a PIC counter using an IR sensor to count revs and display it on a 4 digit 7 seg display.
                      >
                      > I already made this the hard way on a strip board with a 3 seg display but the next one needs the extra digit and it is common cathode instead of common anode so it is worth a redesign and a learning experience but so far I am not learning much useful.
                      >
                      > The PIC is a 16F628 and the display is a 24 pin Common Cathode thing I found on Ebay.
                      >
                      > I can find neither to build a TC schematic.
                      >
                      > Any help would be appreciated.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > js

                    • Jack Schmidling
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 29, 2013
                        Thanks but I think you have confirmed that it really is too complicated
                        a process for a one-up project.

                        If I ended up with artwork to reproduce boards, it would be worth the
                        effort.

                        But in this case, we only end up with a drawing of what the board looks
                        like and still have myriad possibilities to make mistakes getting to a
                        board.

                        TC is great for making clean schematics and VEEcad is great for
                        manually laying out a strip board before committing a board and this is
                        the way I will use them.

                        Thanks,

                        js