Aligning text vertically and horizontally

  • jemoeder8
    Message 1 of 8 , 28 Jul
      Hello everyone,

      I am using TinyCAD for drawing high voltage single line and three line diagrams. Very fond of the program, as I don't know how to work with AutoCAD and this is so much better than MS Visio! I am creating my own symbols library for this according to the Dutch standard NEN 5152. However, I am running across an issue where I would like to use some letters (like G for Generator) in some standard symbols, and it doesn't seem to be possible to align this letter nicely to for example to the center of a circle or a square. Would it be possible to create a function that vertically and horizontally centers text in a note or a text box? That would greatly improve the possibilities for creating a really nice library for my application!

      Thanks in advance for your advice.

      Luc

    • jwkaiser
      Message 2 of 8 , 28 Jul
        Hi Luc, Maybe someone else has a better idea but what I do for this is to turn off the "snap to grid" function just long enough to position the text exactly where I want it, then turn it back on again.

        Normally you should have "snap to grid" always turned on, especially when placing pins or library parts with pins. Having it off at this time will cause many problems because the precise positioning is lost and connections won't "line up" properly. I don't know of any problem, however, caused by turning snap off to position a non-connected part such as text and then turning snap immediately back on.

        If this is bad advice I ask other members to correct me.

        Jim Kaiser

      • rad.rad@blueyonder.co.uk
        Message 3 of 8 , 29 Jul
          Hi Luc

          Jim's method is also what I did. I had to position letters in the centre of circles to form new symbols and I did exactly what Jim suggested. It worked out fine.

          Robert

        • Alan Shea
          Message 4 of 8 , 29 Jul
            Jim, that is good advice to turn off "snap to grid" while placing
            "decorative" (non-circuit) items. I have used TinyCad that way for many
            years with very good results.

            Once circuit portions of the diagram (wires or items with pins) have
            been placed with "snap to grid" off, the only way to get them back on
            grid is to delete them and place them again with "snap to grid" turned on.

            Alan

            --
            ------
            Alan Shea
            Message 5 of 8 , 29 Jul
              Thanks for the confirmation, Alan and Robert! Now that two people have
              confirmed,
              here's another "trick" that I've learned along these lines. If I'm placing,
              say, multiple circles with letters inside them and they all have different
              letters, rather than having to carefully do the alignment for each circle,

              1) draw a circle
              2) place the text with snap-to-grid *off*, aligning the text to the center
              of the circle.
              3) turn snap back on (so I don't forget to do it later! You can wait 'till
              later if you want, just be sure you turn it back on before placing any pins
              or parts with pins.)
              4) Now, I use this circle-with-text as a template for all the others I want
              to place. Just select the circle *and* text together, do a copy (ctrl-C)
              and then paste (ctrl-V) to place other circles-with-text in different
              places.
              5) turn snap back on if you didn't do it in step 3
              5) now, just select the text in each circle and edit it to whatever you
              want. It will remain aligned relative to the circle the same as the
              original. This is actually easier to do with snap on so you don't
              accidentally "bump" the text when selecting it and mess up your careful
              alignment!

              Jim

              On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 8:24 AM, Alan Shea alan@... [tinycad] <
              tinycad@...> wrote:

              > Jim, that is good advice to turn off "snap to grid" while placing
              > "decorative" (non-circuit) items. I have used TinyCad that way for many
              > years with very good results.
              >
              > Once circuit portions of the diagram (wires or items with pins) have
              > been placed with "snap to grid" off, the only way to get them back on
              > grid is to delete them and place them again with "snap to grid" turned on.
              >
              > Alan
              >
              > On 2017-07-28 23:41, jkaiser@... [tinycad] wrote:
              > > Hi Luc, Maybe someone else has a better idea but what I do for this is
              > to turn off the "snap to grid" function just long enough to position the
              > text exactly where I want it, then turn it back on again.
              > >

              > > Normally you should have "snap to grid" always turned on, especially
              > when placing pins or library parts with pins. Having it off at this time
              > will cause many problems because the precise positioning is lost and
              > connections won't "line up" properly. I don't know of any problem, however,
              > caused by turning snap off to position a non-connected part such as text
              > and then turning snap immediately back on.
              > >

              > > If this is bad advice I ask other members to correct me.
              > >

              > > Jim Kaiser
              >
              > --
              > ------
              > Alan Shea
              > N2UDV, CSRE, CBNT
              > Cel +231 0880-555-324 (GMT+0)

            • Jim Kaiser
              Message 6 of 8 , 29 Jul
                Ooops. the "2nd step 5" should be step 6!

              • Don Lucas
                Message 7 of 8 , 29 Jul
                  Hi guys –

                  I get around that problem by never turning the snap grid off and instead, setting a very small snap grid size like 0.01. Then all items are always editable because they were never “off-grid” to begin with. You _do_ have to set the snap grid back to whatever small setting that you used to create it in order to edit it easily.

                  Don

                  --
                  ------
                  Alan Shea

                • jemoeder8
                  Message 8 of 8 , 1 Aug 03:59
                    Thanks for all the input! I will try your suggestions. In the mean time, I have found another solution that I like, which involves a font that can be drawn with polygons on a grid. See http://phk.freebsd.dk/hacks/Wargames/index.html http://phk.freebsd.dk/hacks/Wargames/index.html

                    I made a libary with the letters from this font that I need, and with that it is possible to scale and exactly position the letters on the grid where I want them in my symbols. Indeed, by setting the grid size to smaller values, very exact positioning is possible. And in these cases rotation works also! I found out that symbol rotation with text boxes inside does not always work like you want it...